Thursday, August 20, 2009

The thing I find exciting about Years 11 and 12...

...is no the curricumlum that I'm supposed to be teaching, but rather all the other exciting things happening around the school. Last night I photographed the live music performances of the Live Music section, and today I came prepared to fix the chicken enclosure in the Ag Science section. Unfortunately for the chickens the rain has intervened.

Years 11 and 12 are not particularly different to my regular teaching. But it's not an opportunity lost: while the content and preparation are fairly straightforward, in fact I can pretty much do it off the top of my head, it for this very same reason that I'm getting something out if it. My energy is being turned to teaching beyond the classroom; putting into practice the idea of literacy across the curriculum.

For instance, an hour or so ago in Year 12 physics we watched a video/doco on the Chernobyl disaster. What a great opportunity to discuss the human and political aspects of what is viewed ostensibly (in physics circles at least) as a physics incident.

Now my ears are ringing from having spent lunch time listening to one of the worst metal trios of all time. On Monday I'll probably bring my bass guitar in and turn it into a quartet (after I fix the chook pen.

at

1 comment:

  1. Good observation Andrew, we forget sometimes that 'our' topics we cover do not belong to us but spread across a variety of disciplines. I also found this fascinating when speaking about WW2 and the Cold War in relation to Poetry and SciFi. All disciplines interact. It's fun to look at "Alien" and compare to life cycles of different species crossing fiction with biology. Teachers Unite!

    ReplyDelete